Position: Coreline Operator I
Salary: Grade Level 33/0
($46,841 Per Annum)
Program: OSRWSS Mni Wiconi
Water Treatment Plant/Coreline
Location: Murdo/Fort Pierre, SD
General Description of Duties:
The Coreline Operator will perform semi-skilled work in the maintenance, repair and operation of the Oglala Sioux Rural Water Supply System (OSRWSS) Mni Wiconi Water Treatment Plant Coreline distribution system, to include grounds and equipment. The Coreline Operator will be under the direct supervision of the Coreline Field Supervisor.
1. Maintain a regular inspection schedule of water distribution system equipment and facilities.
2. Monitor system operations to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, and regulatory compliance.
3. Plan and perform preventive maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment including engines, motors, pumps, control valves, meter, and pipeline.
4. Perform carpentry, plumbing, and electrical (if qualified) duties as required, including installing equipment, machines or wiring (if qualified) to meet specifications.
5. Perform grounds maintenance for tank sites, booster stations, PRV's, control vaults, master meter vaults, surge tanks, and transducers.
6. Conduct remote laboratory tests for process and water quality, recording analytical results.
7. Collect, sample and transfer of water analysis to area laboratory.
8. Assist in the repair of water pipeline breaks and/or water system malfunction.
9. Work on-call weekends, holidays, after hour maintenance emergency calls, and as assigned.
10. Maintain accurate records and logs on operating conditions of booster station, control vaults, PRV's, master meters, water flows, etc.
11. Work with contractors and engineering firm to install and provide new services.
12. Assist in the design and fabrication of a variety of tools, pumps, valves, piping systems and hardware.
13. Perform routine cleaning maintenance of elevated tanks and underground reservoirs on the Coreline distribution system.
14. Perform and assist in annual flushing and valve exercising program.
15. Ensure compliance with safety and environmental regulations including, but not limited to, hazardous materials.
16. Be flexible to work with the Lower Brule Sioux Tribe, Rosebud Sioux Tribe, West River/Lyman Jones, Bureau of Reclamation and Project engineers.
17. Other related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Requirements and Knowledge:
1. Must have an EPA recognized Certification Level I Water Distribution Certification or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hire.
2. Must have general knowledge of operating principles, practices and procedures, and of, maintenance and routine repair of electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical machinery.
3. Must have knowledge of safety and efficient work practices and procedures.
4. Must be familiar with installation of different types and sizes of pipe.
5. Must have the ability to use power tools effectively in repair and maintenance tasks.
6. Must have basic computer skills including operations of handheld devices.
7. Must have the ability to identify electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical problems and recommend corrective courses of action.
8. Must be able to maintain precise and accurate records.
9. Must be able to maintain an effective working relationship with fellow operators and sponsor water systems.
10. Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
11. Must be able to function as part of a self-directed work team.
12. Must be able to work in emergency situations as necessary.
13. A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the repair and/or maintenance of electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical equipment and machinery preferred.
14. Must be able to operate rubber-tired backhoe, track hoe, dozer, and skid loader.
15. Must have Commercial Driver's License or ability to obtain one within one (1) year of hire.
16. Must be able to read and interpret manuals, blueprints, construction drawings, and as-builts.
17. Must have knowledge of cathodic protection, centrifugal pumps and cross connections.
18. Must be willing to obtain on the job training.
19. The position requires constant walking, climbing, standing, pushing and pulling.
20. The position requires physical movement and unloading of equipment, material parts, and supplies well in excess of 50 pounds per lift.
21. The position requires periods of exposure to extreme weather conditions (as low as -10, to above 100 degrees) dependent upon the season, while performing critical work-related duties.
22. The position requires the climbing and descending of ladders and climbing apparatus up to 400 feet.
23. Must obtain/maintain, a Confined Space certification, per OSHA requirements within one (1) year.
24. Must obtain/maintain, a forklift operator’s certification, within one (1) year.
25. Must obtain/maintain CPR/First Aid certification, within one (1) year.
26. Must obtain/maintain a Hazardous Materials First Responder certification, within one (1) year.
1. Must possess a High School Diploma/GED.
2. Must possess a valid South Dakota driver’s license.
How to Apply:
Submit a complete OST Application for Employment to the OST Human Resource Department no later than 4:30 p.m. of the closing date. Mail in applications postmarked on the closing date will be accepted. Attach all pertinent documentation, i.e., copy of High School diploma or GED certificate, copy of official college transcripts and/or college degree, certificate of Indian Blood if claiming Indian Preference and DD214 if claiming Veteran's Preference. (INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED)
"Applicants tentatively selected for positions with the Oglala Sioux Tribe will be required to submit to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Appointment to the positions will be contingent upon a negative drug test result."
In accordance with OST Ordinance 90-12 and 91-01, record checks will be done on those individuals applying for positions requiring working with children.