Position: Coreline Operator I
Salary: Grade Level 23/0
($33,207 Per Annum)
Program: OSRWSS Mni Wiconi
Water Treatment Plant/Coreline
Location: Pierre/Fort Pierre, SD
General Description of Duties
The Coreline Operator will perform semi-skilled and skilled work in the maintenance, repair and operation of the Oglala Sioux Rural Water Supply System (OSRWSS) Mni Wiconi Water Treatment Plant Coreline distribution system, to include grounds and equipment. The Coreline Operator will be under the direct supervision of the OSRWSS Mni Wiconi Coreline Field Supervisor.
1. Maintain a regular inspection schedule of water distribution system equipment and facilities.
2. Perform a wide variety of maintenance and repair tasks in the operation of OSRWSS distribution system.
3. Perform maintenance and repair of pumps, control valves, meters, strainers and pipeline.
4. Perform carpentry, plumbing and electrical duties as required.
5. Perform ground maintenance for tank sites, booster stations, PRV’s, control vaults, master meter vaults, surge tanks and transducers.
6. Maintain and service tools and equipment used by the distribution system maintenance personnel.
7. Perform repair of water pipeline breaks and/or water system malfunctions.
8. Work on-call weekends and holidays and for after hour maintenance emergency calls and as assigned.
9. Perform water user related service calls.
10. Assist in the resolution of water users and/or landowner claims and/or complaints.
11. Maintain accurate records and logs on operating conditions of booster stations, control vaults, PRV’s, master meters, etc.
12. Work with OSRWSS Contractors to install and provide new services.
13. Assist in the design and fabrication of a variety of tools, pumps, valves and piping systems.
14. Perform routine cleaning maintenance of elevated tanks and underground reservoirs on the Coreline distribution system.
15. Use proper procedures of handling caustic chemicals related to water treatment (Chloride/Fluoride)
16. Be flexible to work with the Lower Brule Sioux Tribe, Rosebud Sioux Tribe, West River/Lyman Jones, Bureau of Reclamation and Project engineers.
17. Other related duties as assigned by immediate Supervisor.
Requirements and Knowledge:
1. Must have an EPA recognized Level I Water Distribution Certification or the ability to obtain within 1 year of hire.
2. Must have knowledge of operation, maintenance and routine repair of electrical, hydraulic and mechanical machinery.
3. Must have knowledge of tools, supplies and materials used to perform electric, hydraulic and mechanical tasks.
4. Must have knowledge of safety and efficient work practices and procedures. Must be physically capable of lifting materials, up to 50 lbs.
5. Must be familiar with general water system operations and maintenance. Must be familiar with installation of different types and sizes of pipe.
6. Must have knowledge of general construction practices. Must have the ability to use power tools effectively in repair and maintenance tasks.
7. Must have basic computer skills.
8. Must have the ability to perform routine and preventative maintenance tasks on electrical, hydraulic and mechanical equipment.
9. Must have the ability to identify electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical problems and recommend corrective courses of action.
10. Must have knowledge of water distribution sampling and testing.
11. Must be able to maintain precise and accurate records.
12. Must be able to understand and follow directions.
13. Must be able to maintain an effective working relationship with others, especially the public. Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
14. Must be able to perform duties independently. Must be able to work in emergency situations as necessary.
15. A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in repair and/or maintenance of electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical equipment and machinery preferred.
16. Must be able to operate rubber-tired backhoe, track hoe, dozer and skid loader.
17. Must have Commercial Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within one (1) year of hire.
18. Must be able to read blueprints, construction drawings and as-builts.
19. Must have knowledge of cathodic protection, centrifugal pumps and cross connections.
20. Must be willing to obtain on the job training.
1. Must possess a High School Diploma/GED.
2. Must possess a valid South Dakota driver’s license.
How to Apply:
Submit a complete OST Application for Employment to the OST Human Resource Department no later than 4:30 p.m. of the closing date. Mail in application postmarked on the closing date will be accepted.
Attach all pertinent documentation, i.e., copy of High School diploma or GED certificate, copy of official college transcripts and/or college degree, certificate of Indian Blood if claiming Indian Preference and DD214 if claiming Veteran’s Preference. (INCOMPLETE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED)
“Applications tentatively selected for positions with the Oglala Sioux Tribe will be required to submit to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Appointment to the positions will be contingent upon a negative drug test result.”
In accordance with OST Ordinance 90-12 and 91-01, record checks will be done on those individuals applying for positions requiring working with children.