Position: Water Treatment Plant Operator I
Salary: Grade Level 23/0
($33,207 Per Annum)
Program: OSRWSS Mni Wiconi
Water Treatment Plant/Coreline
Location: Pierre/Fort Pierre, SD
General Description of Duties
The Water Treatment Plant Operator will perform semi-skilled and skilled work in the maintenance, repair and operation of the Oglala Sioux Rural Water Supply System (OSRWSS) Mni Wiconi Water Treatment Plant to include grounds and equipment. Must maintain a professional work standard at all times. The Water Treatment Plant Operator will be under the direct supervision of the OSRWSS Mni Wiconi Treatment Plant Supervisor.
1. Maintain a regular inspection schedule of water treatment equipment and facilities.
2. Perform a wide variety of maintenance and repair tasks in the operation of OSRWSS Mni Wiconi Treatment Plant.
3. Perform maintenance and repair of pumps, control valves, meters, strainers and filters, etc.
4. Perform laboratory and water analysis and all aspects of water testing in the Water Treatment Plant.
5. Perform carpentry, plumbing and electrical duties as may be assigned.
6. Perform ground maintenance for tank sites, PRV’s control vaults, master meter vaults, raw water intake house, clear well and backwash recovery house, etc.
7. Maintain and service tools and equipment used by the water treatment plant. Perform repair of water pipeline breaks and/or water system malfunctions, etc.
8. Work on-call weekends and holidays to monitor and operate water treatment plant. Also, be available for after hour maintenance emergency calls and as assigned.
9. Flexible to work with Coreline operators on distribution system to Oglala Sioux Tribe, Lower Brule Tribe, Rosebud Tribe, West River/Lyman Jones, Bureau of Reclamation and Project engineers.
10. Maintain accurate records and logs on operating conditions of the water treatment plant, raw water intake, clear well and backwash recovery.
11. Assist in the design and fabrication of a variety of tools, pumps, valves and water treatment plant.
12. Perform routine cleaning maintenance of Water Treatment Plant, flocculation basins, settling basins, filtering basins, wet well and as assigned.
13. Proper procedures of handling caustic chemicals related to water treatment such as Chloride, Fluoride, alum, caustic soda, hydrochloric acid and all other water treatment chemicals.
14. Make necessary process changes as indicated by jar tests.
15. Unload, store and use various chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, powdered activated carbon, caustic soda, alum, potassium permanganate, cationic/anionic/nonionic polymers, corrosion inhibitors, chlorine, fluoride and ammonia.
16. Maintain plant operating equipment and laboratory equipment in a clean and orderly condition.
17. Perform treatment process mathematical computations to determine proper mixture of chemicals, correct chemical amounts and chemical usage.
18. Respond to chemical emergency alarms wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as respirators and self-containing breathing apparatus (SCBA).
19. Read and interpret gauges, meters, recording devices and process change data. Monitor and repair equipment for proper operation.
20. Other related duties as assigned by the immediate Supervisor.
Requirements and Knowledge:
1. Must have computer skills.
2. Must have knowledge of operation, maintenance and routine repair of electrical, hydraulic and mechanical machinery in the water treatment plant.
3. Must have knowledge of tools, supplies and materials used to perform electric, hydraulic and mechanical tasks in the water treatment plant.
4. Must have knowledge of safety and efficient work practices and procedures.
5. Must be physically capable of lifting material up to 50 lbs.
6. Must be familiar with general water treatment plant operations and maintenance.
7. Must be familiar with installation of different types and sizes of pipe, water pumps and chemical pumps.
8. Must have knowledge of general construction practices.
9. Must have the ability to use power tools effectively in repair and maintenance tasks.
10. Must have the ability to perform routine and preventative maintenance tasks on electrical, hydraulic and mechanical equipment in the water treatment plant.
11. Must have the ability to identify problems with electrical and chemical pumps and other equipment.
12. Must be able to maintain precise and accurate records, such as lab testing equipment and SCADA computer equipment.
13. Must be able to maintain an effective working relationship with others, especially the public.
14. Must be able to communicate orally and written in a clear and effective manner.
15. Must be able to understand and follow directions.
16. Must be able to perform duties independently.
17. A minimum of 1-year experience in repair and/or water industry equipment and machinery preferred.
18. Must have EPA recognized level I or II water treatment certification or obtain one within one (1) year.
19. Must have basic knowledge of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system.
1. Must have High School Diploma/GED.
2. Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be insurable by the Oglala Sioux Tribe.
How to Apply:
Submit a complete OST Application for Employment to the OST Human Resource Department no later than 4:30 p.m. of the closing date. Mail in application postmarked on the closing date will be accepted.
Attach all pertinent documentation, i.e., copy of High School diploma or GED certificate, copy of official college transcripts and/or college degree, certificate of Indian Blood if claiming Indian Preference and DD214 if claiming Veteran’s Preference. (INCOMPLETE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED)
“Applications tentatively selected for positions with the Oglala Sioux Tribe will be required to submit to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Appointment to the positions will be contingent upon a negative drug test result.”
In accordance with OST Ordinance 90-12 and 91-01, record checks will be done on those individuals applying for positions requiring working with children.